SrbTransLatin: The BEST WordPress transliteration plugin
SrbTransLatin enables you to have both cyrillic and latin scripts on your website. Transliteration is done in-place automatically.
- Website content is automatically transliterated into latin
- Ajax calls are transliterated into latin (both JSON and HTML)
- Your visitors can search cyrillic content using latin script
- Selective transliteration via shortcodes – Force parts of your website to stay in cyrillic script, use custom transliteration (Gutenblocks coming soon)
- Cache plugin compatible – No reinventing the wheel. Works OOB with all the popular caching plugins.
- SEO Friendly – no double content or SERP penalties!
- Optimized autoloading – Plugin is PSR-12 compatible and loads the functionalities only when needed
File and Media features
- Script specific files – You can have separate versions of images or other files for cyrillic and latin scripts
- Filename transliteration – Cyrillic uploads are automatically converted to latin script
Script Selector features
- Append the script selector to any menu of your choosing – Either as a dropdown, or inline
- Selector widget – place it any sidebar you’d like
- Custom function – Use
stl_selectorfunction anywhere in the code (but read the docs first)
- Works everywhere – Plugin hooks into WordPress core transliterating your content inplace
If you can’t find your anwsers in the FAQ below, documentation can be found here
Original version of this plugin was developer by Predrag Supurović.
Plugin development was handed over to Oblak Solutions in march 2020. Since then, we am the sole authors and maintainers of the plugin
- Upload srbtranslatin.zip to plugins via WordPress admin panel, or upload unzipped folder to your plugins folder
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress
- Go to Settings->Latinisation to manage the options
Can I use your plugin to transliterate my latin content into cyrillic?
Short answer: No.
Long Answer: At the moment, no. Such conversions are very hard to do since HTML language is also written in latin script, and converting text only is very resource intensive process.
I’m currently working on a tool which will enable you to convert your latin content into cyrillic
How can I keep parts of content in cyrilic?
You can use [stl_cyr][/stl_cyr] shortcode. This will keep the shortcode text in cyrilic script, even when viewing latin version of the site.
Will this plugin transliterate my page title into latin as well?
Yes, it will.
Will this plugin enable my visitors to search for content using latin script
Yes it will. Plugin hooks into default WordPress search function and enables searching of cyrilic content using latin text on frontend
Is this plugin Compatible with WPML
Yes it is. It has no compatibility issues with WPML, since the transliteration core is being used only in serbian version of the website
Will I be able to select script for Serbian language in WPML language Widget?
Yes, Plugin fully integrates with all WPML functions on the frontend because it directly extends the available language list
I’m having search issues – not all posts show up when searching for them using latin characters
Open a support thread, or send me an e-mail.
Your plugin is converting my cyrilic filenames into latin which prevents them from loading
First – you shouldn’t be using cyrilic filenames in the first place. Due to the fact that most hosting providers do not have full UTF-8 support.
I’m working on a tool which will convert filenames and post / page content on your website, so the errors will be automagically fixed
Temporary fix: redownload all attachments with cyrilic filenames and reupload them. This plugin will do an on-the-fly conversion of filenames.
Will this plugin transliterate dynamic content (ajax)
Yes it will. Option was added in version 2.4
Some parts of my page aren’t being transliterated
Depending on the theme / plugins you’re currently using, some content might be generated via REST API (wp-json). I’m working on adding the functionality to transliterate REST calls
Feel free to contact me via e-mail, and I’ll see if I can assist you for your specific case.
Contributors & Developers
“SrbTransLatin – Serbian Latinisation” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“SrbTransLatin – Serbian Latinisation” has been translated into 1 locale. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
Complete plugin refactor